One of the best ways managers can empower their direct reports is by keeping communication lines open. Having regular 1:1s at work isn't a luxury anymore. It's a standard. And as a manager, you want to make sure to make the most of your 1:1s and ask the right questions.
We created the top 30 questions to ask your employees during your 1:1s. These questions cover all areas of the employee work-life, pulse check, team and company feedback, and goal-setting.
“Employees who have regular 1:1 meetings with managers are 3x more likely to be engaged.”– Gallup, 2016
#1 Pulse check questions
- How are you feeling this month?
- How's life outside of work?
- What's top of mind for you right now?
#2 Last month's reflection
- What was your biggest time waster?
- What accomplishment would make you happy?
- What was the biggest challenge this past month?
#3 Working style
- How could we help you be more productive?
- Do you feel challenged at work?
- What kind of work did you enjoy the most recently?
#4 Manager's feedback
- Do I give you enough feedback?
- Would you like more or less direction from me?
- What could I have done differently to better support you?
#5 Personal development questions
- What have you learned last month?
- Where do you feel like you need to spend more time learning?
- Is there anyone in the company you'd like to learn from/ to be your mentor?
#6 Current projects
- How are your projects going? What could we do to make them better?
- Are there any projects you'd like to work on if you were given the opportunity?
- Is any part of your project unclear or confusing?
#7 Long-term goals questions
- Have you thought about your long-term goals recently? Why yes or why no?
- Do you feel like you're making progress on your big goals here?
- What's one thing we could do today to help you with your long-term goals?
#8 Team questions
- Do you feel confident in how your team is progressing?
- Who is kicking ass on the team?
- Is there anything we can do to improve team dynamics?
#9 Company questions
- How confident do you feel about where the company is going?
- Is there something that isn't entirely clear to you?
- What's not fun about working here, and how can we change that?
#10 Closing questions
- Is there something you'd like to talk about that we did not cover?
- What can I help you with between now and the next time we meet?
- Is there anything you'd like to discuss next time?
If you are looking for the best way to launch 1:1s across your company try following our handy 1:1 checklist!